Tuesday, July 27, 2010

there's a holiday for that?

I pretty much forgot that it was Pioneer Day on Saturday, I even forgot that I was allowed to wear jeans to work that day, which is a big deal!  Don't get me wrong, I love the pioneers.  Both my parents were converts but Zach's family actually has some real pioneer history which is super exciting to me.  Their lives fascinate me and I think frequently how there is definitely a reason I was born in this day of luxury and not during pioneer time.  I would never make it.  (I went on the pioneer trek to Martin's Cove in high school so I know this for a fact.)  Reading and hearing about the lives of early Saints, and the sacrifices they made can bring me to tears.  They really have a special place in my heart, I look up to them and love them and am grateful for everything they've done for the church and the country.

That being said, Pioneer Day still strikes me as a little funny.  Work closed early on Pioneer Day (but not on the 3rd, or the 5th of July).  Fireworks tents stay up throughout the month of July.  There's parades and rodeos and all kinds of festivities.  So I guess I shouldn't argue with having one more reason to celebrate.  Maybe it's just the fact that it's primarily a Utah holiday and nobody outside the state even knows what it is!  (Yes, that was me until I moved here.)

Anyway, so after getting off work on Saturday we drove to Spanish Fork for fireworks with some friends.  Even though it's just a few minutes away I've been to Spanish Fork all of about 2 times in my life, so we had a little trouble figuring out where we were going.  We argued about whether it was a "hick town" until we passed the "Wiggy Wash," and I guess that settled it!  We ate, played Sorry, and talked while we waited for the fireworks, which is pretty much all we ever do when we get together anyway!  Haha it was a fun night.

we brought deliciousness

matt and zach

so festive!  hillary, me and katherine

when I tried to lay on Zach's lap he kept smashing my face with his arm

...so I licked it (no shame!)

this is Matt taking Kat's picture.  a random little girl gave Katherine a picture that she colored, very cute!

3 comments:

Mars said...

I think that holiday is kinda funny too....BUT I am grateful for the pioneers and their sacrifices. I would NOT have made it either-you and me both sista! It's just funny because it's a holiday that pretty much only Utah peeps celebrate hardcore like that. Looks like a lot of fun! I wish I was married and lived by you so we could hang out :( sad day.

frizzles16 said...

Haha, It is definitely just a Utah state holiday, but I love pioneer day!! I still need to go to a rodeo since I didn't make it to one of the pioneer day ones though. :D And I agree, Spanish Fork is a hick town, sorry to Ali, but it's true.hahaha!!

Jayci said...

aww that looks like fun. :) our ward up here celebrated Pioneer Day the Saturday before... I didn't know that's why we had our picnic until after the fact!! I forget about Pioneer Day too.. oops!

I want to picnic with you guys!

Verif: pyingop.. looked a little weird to you, too, right? HA!