Friday, July 31, 2009

Neighbors: another reason I can't wait to buy a house.

So one of the major downsides to living in an apartment is you have neighbors top and bottom, left and right of you. At times I worry that our music is too loud, that our hammering pictures up is disturbing them, or that they can hear us arguing, etc. etc. Apparently some people don't have the same consideration.

At 2:25 AM this morning when Zach and I are sound asleep in bed we are suddenly woken up by banging, pounding and yelling outside. I can hear a man on the phone RIGHT outside our bedroom window (we are on the first floor) literally screaming at some girl. I cannot even post all the words he was using, but it was something like:

"You {expletive} whore! Where the {expletive} are you?! You're in a cab?? What bar were you at... WHAT BAR WERE YOU AT??? Bars close at 2 AM, its 2:30 and you were within walking distance so where the {expletive} are you?!?"

At this point I think he pounded up the stairs (right through the wall next to our heads) and he must have been breaking her stuff, throwing it down the stairs, punching holes in the walls... I can't even imagine. I wanted to open the window and tell him to knock it off, but with the way he was carrying on he was either drunk, or drunk with rage and I wasn't sure how to confront someone like that. ("Excuse me... I can tell you're having a rough night, but we have work in the morning, do you think you could keep it down?" Who knows how he would have reacted.)

A few minutes later he's outside again, asking her where she is, and now he's saying "A party? You're at a party???" Throw in some highly inappropriate accusations about the sexual activities she must be participating in, along with a few more crude names, and you can imagine what we were trying to sleep through. "Go ahead and come home with him and see what happens!!!" More carrying on above our heads with the pounding, and the breaking, and the slamming... it took Zach and I forever to fall back asleep. I literally don't even know how long that was going on. Looking back we probably should have called the cops, but all I could think about was getting back to sleep!

Ahh, the joys of neighborly life.

6 comments:

Mars said...

holy psycho. Yeah apts are crazy. Really. You get all sorts of weird crazy neighbors. My last apt I lived in I had this guy living across from me who I don't think worked but just sat at home all day & smoked pot. And I would see numerous people go in & out of there all the time. Maybe he was selling drugs? His newspapers would pile up a week at a time like nobody was there then randomly disappear. And they were RIGHT in the middle so either he stepped over them everyday, left town a lot, or never went outside. haha. I'm glad you didn't confront the angry crazy guy. You should have just called the cops. Thats one of those things you never think of until AFTER the fact. Hope you got SOME sleep.

Mars said...

ok so I just started laughing because the word verification after I left my comment is
penablob.....hahahaha I just liked that is had "blob" in it because that is really a funny word! Reminds me of that flubber character or something, but more blobish. haha :)

Jayci said...

woowww.. that guy needs a kick to his groin. hard. and swift like. :P haha I know you have ninja skills jo. Just sneak up on him if he ever does it again. You will LOVE living in a stand alone house one day!!! But even still.. there are things that annoy us. LIKE:

in the winter here, our neighbor has an auto-start on his diesel truck and he starts it at like 4:00 and leaves it running for an hour and a half at times!!! Not only is LOUD, but after about 25 minutes we can start to smell the diesel permeating through our window - IT'S SUFFOCATING.

THEN. the same neighbors have a huge pit bull that they leave in the garage while they're both gone at work during the day and he barks and howls ALL. DAY. LONG. I can hear it when I am napping or even while I'm watching TV or doing ANYTHING at home... another annoyance.

THEN. the neighbors on our other side had picked up SMOKING since he has been back from the war.. I understand the stress that he probably faced over there.. but they go out back to smoke (they rent their house) and when they smoke at 10:30 at night we have to slam all our windows shut because the smoke will waft into our family room and kitchen. It's sick. And rude. And you'd THINK you'd be free of these issues in a stand alone house, but neighbors will still be neighbors.

OH. same smoky neighbors?? he has an 80 something mustang that is RIDICULOUSLY loud.. sometimes he goes to work at like 3:30 in the morning and he'll turn it on, rev it, let it idle, then drive off tearing up the street. Our friends at the bottom of our street get woken up on the mornings he drives that car... then they found out that we sleep with our windows open during summer and they couldn't imagine how loud it is for us right next to it!!

GRRRRRR ...

sorry this turned into a venting session for Moi. :P haha!

Sarah Moeck said...

Mine beats out yours. We used to have lesbians living above us. And we could hear EVERYTHING.

Scott said...

Wow, these are funny comments, we just get the cops out once in a while asking about our neighbor

Matthew and Katherine Kerr said...

Are you guys buying a house soon? Sounds like you have some very crazy neighbors! My grandparents don't provide as much entertainment as every one else says their neighbors do. Grandpa hums and we can hear it; it can get kind of annoying. lol This is why you need to come back soon!