I have been trying to think of something worth posting about SINCE it has been over a week since my last post and I generally blog an average of 4 times a month. I sound like an obsessed weirdo I know, but I just felt it was due. Unfortunately we really haven't done anything worth mentioning of late. But I read my friend Katherine's blog and remembered I DO have some news! She posted about being released from her calling. But we just got called to a new one. And guess what it is???
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Sunday School teachers. Gospel Doctrine teachers, to be exact. Intimidating since we are not even in a student ward but a family ward with people much older and wiser than us. This, and cub scouts, were the callings I said I definitely didn't want when we got a call from the bishopric asking us to come in. (I didn't say that to the bishopric... you know what I mean.) I literally laughed when they extended the call! I have a knack for always knowing what my calling will be before I get it. But of course we accepted. Today was our first lesson and it went reasonably well. You'd think it would be easier to teach an organized lesson with two people but it was actually really awkward to juggle back and forth. I'm so grateful to have Zach with me though or I would have been WAY more nervous.
We were set apart after church and our blessings were both really nice. It made me excited and I felt really good about this being what we need right now. I know this calling will be a huge blessing, and challenge, for both of us. First one down though.
Lesson quote of the moment:
- “Many of you have heavy hearts because a son or daughter, husband or wife, has turned from righteousness to pursue evil. My message is for you.
- “Your life is filled with anguish, pain, and, at times, despair. I will tell you how you can be comforted by the Lord.
- “First, you must recognize two foundation principles:
- “1. While there are many things you can do to help a loved one in need, there are some things that must be done by the Lord.
- “2. Also, no enduring improvement can occur without righteous exercise of agency. Do not attempt to override agency. The Lord himself would not do that. Forced obedience yields no blessings (see D&C 58:26–33).
- “I will suggest seven ways you can help.
- “First, love without limitations. … Second, do not condone the transgressions, but extend every hope and support to the transgressor. … Third, teach truth. … Fourth, honestly forgive as often as is required. … Fifth, pray trustingly. ‘The … fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much’ (James 5:16). …
- “Sixth, keep perspective. … When the things you realistically can do to help are done, leave the matter in the hands of the Lord and worry no more. Do not feel guilty because you cannot do more. Do not waste your energy on useless worry. … In time, you will feel impressions and know how to give further help. You will find more peace and happiness, will not neglect others that need you, and will be able to give greater help because of that eternal perspective. …
- “One last suggestion—Never give up on a loved one, never!”
-Elder Richard G. Scott


6 comments:
Consider yourself blog stalked. This is gonna be great. hahaha! That is a great quote, I'm a fan. Also, next time we work together I'll give you a great tip I have learned for "team teaching" gospel doctrine that helps it go really smoothly. :D
yay congrats on your new calling! How exciting-but intimidating. I have a feeling this is just the beginning. Think of the callings we can get as we get older...actually age doesn't really matter I guess. Anyway I'm sure you guys did great & I love what you posted at the end. I konw you will be an awesome teacher-you and Zach!
PS sorry about Fri night phone tag!
I cannot even imagine teaching Gospel Doctrine, that would be such an intimidating calling!!!
And I know what you mean about feeling like you should blog, but having nothing to blog about! That happens to me all the time!
Any idea of what my next calling will be?
Wow! I would have wanted to say no....That's a calling I have also said that I never want! I'm sure it will be so great and you will learn tons more about the scriptures from it. Also I love love love your picture at the top of your blog. You are so gorgeous!
I just read your FB status about your Mom's birthday. What a wonderful lady! I remember your Mom teaching Gospel Doctrine. She was an awesome teacher and I know you'll follow in her footsteps.
wowwwwie! Great calling!!! I'm sincerely excited for you. :D you are going to be GREAT - in fact, I bet you were already great. I had that calling in Del Rio and I loved it. :P More for the research that I was 'obligated' to do, .. when I taught I would have like primary posters and everything. Wait. Maybe that was why I was called to Primary after that.. dang it! I really liked it. Not primary, the GD teaching. haha!
I'm crossing my fingers for you! Glad you have Zachmeister there too. :) You two are probably a hilarious team!!
Post a Comment