Monday, January 25, 2010

winner winner YUMMY dinner

I don't want to bore anyone with my health goals and obsessiveness (well, not THAT obsessed... we won't talk about this weekend.)  But I have had a couple of requests to post some of the yummy HEALTHY recipes we've made and loved.  In case you need something to make for dinner this week...

Shredded Chicken and Tomatillo Tacos with Queso Fresco

Ingredients

  • 6 tomatillos, husked, washed, and grilled until blackened
  • 1 serrano, grilled until blackened
  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 small red onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 8 blue corn tortillas
  • 1 cup crumbled queso fresco

Directions

Preheat the grill to medium. Add the blackened tomatillos and serrano to a small saute pan and briefly saute in a little olive oil on the grates of the grill.
Place the tomatillos, serrano, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and honey in a blender and blend until smooth. Place the tomatillo mixture in a large saute pan and place on the grates of the grill. Bring the mixture to a simmer, add the chicken, and heat through.
Place the tortillas on the grill, and grill for 20 seconds on each side. Spoon the chicken mixture into the tortillas and top with a few tablespoons of queso fresco. Fold the tortillas in half serve immediately. 

***My review:  Well, we have made this twice in the past week, so we love it.  Similar to green sauce or tomatillo dressing from Cafe Rio!  I cook and shred my own chicken to make it healthier, and we used multi-grain tortillas when I couldn't find blue corn and they were delicious!  Also good with black beans, homemade guacamole, sour cream... the options are endless and we usually like to twist it up a little.



Minted Squash Orzo

Ingredients

  • 1 cup dried orzo pasta
  • 1/4 cup garlic flavored olive oil, divided
  • 1 large yellow squash, about 8 ounces, quartered lengthwise and sliced
  • Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
  • 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped, plus more for garnish

Directions

Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the orzo and cook for 8 minutes; pasta will be slightly undercooked. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain the orzo in a colander in the sink.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown and soften, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the cooked orzo and cooking water. Bring to a simmer and stir in 3/4 of the feta; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the water is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and mint.
Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle the remaining feta over the top and garnish with additional chopped mint.

***My review:  This was one of my favorites, Zach liked it but not as much as me I think.  It's a different flavor but I really liked it, although if you choose to use butternut squash make sure you have a chainsaw to cut it with, and cook the squash for longer than the recipe calls for!  Other than that- SUPER easy!


 Turkey Meatballs with Quick and Spicy Tomato Sauce and Whole-Wheat Spaghetti

Ingredients

Sauce:

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, liquid included
  • 1 teaspoon finely minced canned chipotle en adobo and sauce, or more to taste
  • 2 teaspoons chopped oregano leaves
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
  • Salt
  • 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves

Meatballs:

  • Cooking spray
  • 1 pound ground turkey meat
  • 1 slice fresh whole-wheat bread, crusts removed, pulsed into crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
  • 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 box (16 ounces) whole-wheat spaghetti

Directions

Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil for pasta.

Make Sauce:

In a 4-quart saucepan heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the onions until translucent, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, chipotles, oregano, rosemary, and salt. Bring all the ingredients to a low boil, reduce heat and cook for approximately 15 minutes, until liquid has evaporated slightly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. While sauce is cooking, make meatballs.

Meatballs:

Preheat the broiler. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine the turkey with all other ingredients in a large work bowl. Form into 2 1/2 -inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Broil for 10 minutes, or until browned and almost entirely cooked through.
Meanwhile, remove rosemary sprig from sauce and add fresh basil. Add the meatballs to the sauce, cover, and cook additional 10 minutes, or until sauce has slightly thickened and meatballs have absorbed some of the sauce. While the meatballs are cooking, cook the whole-wheat spaghetti according to package directions.
Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the sauce and meatballs, toss and heat through over medium heat. Divide evenly among 4 pasta bowls and garnish with parsley and 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan.
Yield: 6 servings (1 serving equals about 1 1/3 cups pasta and sauce, plus 2 meatballs

***My review:  This was a little more time-consuming than they let on, although if I made it again I'm sure I could do it faster.  Zach LOVED this one, and I liked it.  It ended up being less 'saucy' than I would have liked, a little dry for my taste.  But healthy and delicious!  The sauce was spicy... what a good way to cover up the whole-wheat noodles, if you don't like those!

 

4 comments:

Mars said...

YUMM you just made me hungry!! I can't believe you've been cooking like this! Kudos to you :) I'm going to try some of these recipes this week (hopefully) but I dread going to the grocery store & spending money because healthy food is expensive. blah. Can't wait to try these!

Jayci said...

dang it.. we don't have a chainsaw. :P I loved your reviews. I'm inviting myself over for dinner someday. FYI. You're really turning into a chef!! mmmm foooood.

Matthew and Katherine Kerr said...

I absolutely LOVE cooking!!! I know we always say this, but we need to do dinners together! Matt and I love to cook together, so I think I will have to talk him into making some of these recipes.

P.S. Blog about whatever you want!!! Don't worry about people not wanting to hear about it, because they don't have to read it if they don't want to!

Nick and Emily said...

Wow!! Good job on the cooking and the healthiness. I need to be better, so maybe I'll have to try a few of these yummy sounding recipes.