Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A new addition...

We have big news!






We're pregnant! :o)
























Ok ok. That's a lie. But we DID get a puppy. :o) I'm sure I didn't fool anybody anyway!

Quite a story. Zach and I decided to get a puppy last week and spent several days looking for one. We tried to go the humane society and through adoption agencies online, etc. etc. It is so hard to get a dog these days! We saw one application that was 6 pages long!! ("Have you had any pets before, what kind, how old, what happened to them, where will you keep your pet when you're home/when you're gone, how many hours a day will the pet be left alone...") They need to call the landlord, get references, make house calls, on and on. So many hoops to jump through, we got really discouraged.

WELL... Last Saturday Zach was driving around Lehigh Acres for work and saw a guy selling puppies on the side of the road but didn't have time to stop. Sunday we decided to drive back and see if he was there again. Sure enough, Juan was there! We held some miniature pinscher puppies and they were so cute. They were smaller than what Zach wanted, but after taking into consideration our living situation we decided a small dog makes more sense. Juan was very nice but spoke limited English, and we laughed to each other when he told us she eats "Pooreenapuppyshaow" (Purina puppy chow). We were so excited to bring her home with us.

The past few days have been an experience. We felt so bad at first, she didn't play, eat or poo for 2 days and we were so worried. We haven't been able to let her out of our sight because she was so scared. Then a couple nights ago we locked her in the bathroom for about 10 minutes so we could finally have some privacy and she pooped EVERYWHERE. And thus began the potty training adventure! Since then it seems I haven't stopped cleaning up after her. When we take her outside she just doesn't get it. We bought some puppy training pads, but she tried to eat it instead and then promptly peed in the kitchen. Hmph! Any tips?

Anyway... after that long schpiel... here is our cute Roxy. (I picked the name, of course) She is 12 weeks, 4.8 lbs and a total snugglebug. She is a good girl. And sorry I don't have cuter pictures yet.


Yes, she looks like a dachsund. Contrary to popular belief, minpins are not miniature Dobermans, but are most likely a mix between Italian Greyhounds and Dachsunds. Thank you internet!

It's hard to see here but she is actually not as long as a weiner dog and isn't as big as she looks. Also minpins typically have their ears cropped but hers aren't and she is SO much cuter that way. We saw her mama with cropped ears, and we like Roxy better.

This one is hard to see I know, but the swaddling was the only way I could get her to stop whining for a couple minutes to put my makeup on.

8 comments:

Ryan and Amy Nelsen said...

jordan!! she is so adorable!! i am so not a dog person, but lately i have been wanting a puppy...a tiny one just like that!! i love her!! so freaking cute!!
i grew up with a mini dachsund that looks very similar, but who is a lot older now!
have fun and good luck!

Matthew and Katherine Kerr said...

YAY cute puppy! You guys are such good puppy parents! And I bet this is like the best dose of birth control you can get! lol

Mars said...

I love Roxy! yay!! Have fun potty training her :)

Jayci said...

ooooo PUPPIEEEEES!! jo, she is SO cute. Congrats on your puppy poopy. ha ha! I'm so excited. I said, "no way" out loud when I read your "we're pregnant" sentence. "no way!" haha! Potty training... yikes. I fortunately didn't have to do much with Buckwheat b/c he was about 8 months when we found him. But even still, he would have his fair share of accidents just because he wouldn't know where to go, or what to do. So every time I would see him sniffing or circling I would say, "NO!" pick him up, run out side and say, "yaaay!! good boy!!" haha! It was a challenge, with some accidents, but he got it pretty
quick.

Lloyd and Sunni said...

Jordan you guys should have told me to bring some lemon bars over the next day! We had a ton here forever! I think we actually just finished them yesterday haha, and dont worry... maybe we will have to go to the water park with our dogs since we dont have kids like everyone else lol. I think it looks pretty fun to!

TJ said...

COOOOOLLL!!!! Now I really want a dog. And you totally fooled me with the whole prego thing haha.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new puppy. You are like your Mama, she loved her dogs and they LOVED her. They are/were so loyal to her, never left her side. She would love that you and Zach have a dog to now complete your family. We love you and look forward to meeting Zach when you come to Colorado sometime. How is your Dad, Patrick?

Katydid said...

Wow She looks just like a mini dach. Looks like a very petite version of Cooper. Very Cute... Good luck with the potty training girls are harder than boys but... atleast you never have to see that little red lipstick thingie....Puppies are good forms of birth control. Kids are soooo much more time consuming and harder to handle not to mention you can't kennel kids. oh but that won't stop you from wanting too! Say hi to Zach We miss him. Corey is looking forward to guy nights when you get back!