Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Never too old for cake and ice cream.

"Time is like a handful of sand- the tighter you grasp it, the faster it runs through your fingers."


I was trying to find a quote that accurately describes how I feel and I think this one does. Although its a somewhat depressing way to begin a birthday post! {Sorry.} Yesterday I turned 23! And yes, I do feel like I'm getting old... only because I can still remember being 17, and suddenly I realize that was 6 years ago. Aaaggghhh! Since when have I been out of high school longer than I was in it? Do you see where I am going with this?!

And in other exciting news, this coming Saturday is the one year anniversary since my love and I were married in the temple! One year already! Really? Does that mean we're not newlyweds anymore? Cause it still feels like it sometimes.

And then I think back on this summer we've spent in Florida. I am leaving exactly a week from today to head back to Utah, friends, and family. It's bittersweet. I have really liked it here, and yet there is nothing for us... everyone we care about is clear across the country. Either way I am surprised the end has come so soon.

All I can think about all of this is "where has the time gone?!" Time only flies when you're old. Therefore, I am getting old (if I'm not there yet).

Ok, ok... I'm done lamenting. Other than these slightly painful realizations my birthday was lovely! Saturday night we went out with Nick, Emily, Wyatt and Mark for my birthday dinner at...



Most of us had never been, but it got great reviews from my BFF and burgers are my favorite food. (After years of deliberating that IS my final answer on favorite food) And Mauri: It was good, but I wished I had ordered the regular cheeseburger. I got the pressed burger which only had velveeta cheese, salsa ketchup and pickles on it (and probably more calories than I've eaten all summer.) I like to have the tomatoes and lettuce too. I don't know what I was thinking. ANYWAY...

Dinner was followed by The Others at Nick and Emily's which was fun. Yesterday -my real birthday- I spent an hour and a half at the pool, went to work as usual, although Claudia at work got me this:





Very cute, I guess I will never be too old for rainbow cakes! That's comforting. It was not as tasty though as the one Emily made me. After work Zach, Roxy and I went over to their apartment and I had cake, candles and a birthday song! With a little raspberry sherbet on the side. It was so cute. Forgot my camera again though... Em if you upload those pictures I will have to steal them from ya!


All in all, a very happy birthday. Thanks again to Emily for the rainbow chip cake and mini party. :o)

9 comments:

KristenL said...

ah! lovely! I'm glad you had a nice birthday. I thought of you all day yesterday, and was too lame to call, text, or message you. I love you anyways, and say "Happy Belated!"

Nick and Emily said...

You are very welcome! I'm glad that I was able to make you birthday a little more traditional. Can't wait for our fun drive cross country next week!

Mars said...

aww man I'm sorry your burger wasn't AS GOOD as it could have been. I agree, it's better with everything on it. I had one that had pineapple & terriyaki sauce on it or something-not traditional but A-MAZ-ING. haha what a cute rainbow butterfly cake. I want to see your other one. I'm glad your birthday was fun, even though I couldn't be there to help you celebrate. Remember how we both love sherbet but I ALWAYS call it sherBERT. dumb. they should change the name.

Word verif: slytor...slider? or tor is sly. weird.

Mars said...

P.S.

New background=STINKIN CUTE!!

Love your guts. (not literally-ew thats gross. sorry)

dusty and meag said...

happy late birthday. It sounds like you had a great day. ok old lady just wait to you have a baby and then you really feel old..like when the best part of Christmas is watching the kids open their gifts you know you're old! Miss you. I'm glad you're moving to UT. I sure wish I was!!! Did you do your blog heading. I luurve it and want one!

Jayci said...

way fun birthday!!! :o) 23 does feel really old.. I DON'T WANT TO TURN 24 IN 3 MONTHS!!! a 'pressed burger'??? sounds kind of gross, Jo.. hahahaha!!! I love that your favorite food is a burger! I wonder if I helped with that? maybe? I'm going to let myself think so. :D I'm so glad you had great friends in Florida to give you sherbet and cake - you're well loved!

Jayci said...

love your new banner!!!!

word: mugurous - sounds like a harry potter spell that would make someone murderously ugly. HA!

Jayci said...

jo and mauri - i typed out sherBERT and had to fix it b/c my computer highlighted it as wrong. I agree... change the word!

Matthew and Katherine Kerr said...

Your cake is adorable! Seriously, like I have never ever had a birthday cake that cute! I'm glad you had a fun birthday! And I can't wait for you to come home next week!